Thursday, December 18, 2014

Holiday Recommendation Guest Post #6: Jonathan Shaughnessy



I would be remiss if I didn't mention Masanao Hirayama's (HIMAA) "book and edition: 5182," the paper wallets the artist makes which "last about a month".

What says the holiday season more than the smell of a new leather, ahem, paper wallet wrapped and sitting under the tree? I've gone through two of these lightweight cash and card holders so far which I get far more than a month out of. They come in two colours: the first edition in a yellowy ochre, the second edition in gray. He has also made wallets out of Chanel and other brand name paper shopping bags (I can't seem to find an image of these online, but Art Met has carried them), and most recently he is offering a "Special Wallet" which offers a reward if found. Available here.

Perhaps this is the wallet I should be investing in this Christmas as I started using these paper wallets about six months ago, when my slim leather wallet with money clip (that I quite coveted) was stolen out of my jacket pocket while I was eating lunch in a food court...!



Jonathan Shaughnessy is Associate Curator, Contemporary Art at the National Gallery of Canada whose recent exhibitions include “100 Years Today,” in Shine a Light (2014), the NGC’s third Canadian Biennial; Vera Frenkel: Ways of Telling (2014) at the Museum of Canadian Contemporary Art (MOCCA); Misled by Nature: Contemporary Art and the Baroque co-curated with Josée Drouin-Brisebois and Catherine Crowston at the Art Gallery of Alberta and MOCCA (2013-14); Builders: Canadian Biennial 2012; and Louise Bourgeois: 1911-2010 (2011-2013). In 2010, he was coordinating curator of the exhibition Pop Life: Art in a Material World for the NGC, organized by Tate Modern. He has written essays and catalogues on the work of many Canadian and international artists, sits on numerous advisory boards and committees including Art Metropole, the Toronto Kunstverein, and the Terra Nova Art Foundation, and is an Adjunct Professor in the Department of Visual Arts at the University of Ottawa.


No comments:

Post a Comment